Sofis - Head of Engineering
Sofis is a manufacturer of valve operation systems such as mechanical valve interlocks, portable actuators and valve position indicators. We are the world’s largest interlock manufacturer, providing bespoke design solutions that protect people and property throughout the world. We are dedicated to getting people home safe and increasing overall plant safety and efficiency while doing so.
Sofis is part of Halma PLC, a specialist market leader in safety, health and environmental technologies. Registered on FTSE 100 in London, Halma has annual sales in excess of £1billion per annum and employees approx. 6,300 employees across of 40 companies in more than 20 countries worldwide. Halma’s purpose is growing a safer, cleaner and healthier future for everyone everyday.
Our world is becoming increasingly digital in its nature. This is having an impact on how we act as consumers and how businesses compete. Challenges that had previously existed no longer do and new opportunities exist in virtually every sector. The Oil & Energy sector will probably look very different over the next two decades. The ability of organisations to have the right leaders who can embrace change and exploit the opportunities available through the digital space will be a determining factor in their success.
As a result, Sofis is looking to appoint a highly qualified Head of Engineering who will be responsible for taking services and processes to the next level by embracing the latest trends in manufacturing such as digitalization and Industry 4.0. Furthermore, the candidate will be responsible for leading the Sofis engineering and technical teams based in the Netherlands and UK. As a member of the leadership team, they will lead all technical aspects of the business both internally and externally.
The primary tasks include the development and implementation of a Sofis product development roadmap, introduction of innovative digital technologies to the interlocks industry, simplification and automation of engineering processes, quality management, engineering team development and improving the overall business performance.
This is an opportunity to make a difference and significant contribution towards an accelerated business transformation strategy. At Sofis, the candidate will work in a collaborative work environment and will have substantial career development opportunities in the future within the Halma Group.
Key duties and responsibilities
• Development and implementation of a new product development roadmap in conjunction with the sales and marketing teams
• Provide innovative input and solutions for implementation for digitalisation of the Sofis product offering
• Partner with external companies to facilitate high-speed new product development
• Embed innovative thinking techniques across the team
Process & Product Improvements
• Challenge current and established methods of working to improve efficiency (including AI and automation software)
• Drive improved performance throughout the engineering team and implement KPI’s where required
• Reduce product costs through process and product changes both internally and externally with vendors
• Improve in-built product quality through better design, supplier management and assembly process management
• Implement an appropriate NPI process and manage all projects through this process
• Own product approvals and certifications from third parties and customers
• Develop capabilities of the current team
• Recruit and retain new engineering talent to the team where appropriate
• Develop a network of outsourcing partners, suppliers, other Halma companies and other appropriate companies to enable the delivery of innovative, fast, efficient and market-driven solutions for our customers
The new Head of Engineering is proactive and results driven with an excellent track record of delivering results and change management within engineering / technical companies. He or she will be excited and passionate about new technology with a strong desire to implement new digital technologies (experience in delivering Industry 4.0 products would be advantageous). The candidate needs to have a high intellect and a deep understanding of mechanical and electronic engineering but capable to simplify complex problems and communication solution options effectively.
Qualification / Experience
In addition to above, you are likely to have:
• Bachelor or master’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline
• At least 5 years’ experience in working with electromechanical product development
• Working knowledge of New Production Development principles and tools
• Working knowledge of Project Management tools
• Working knowledge of Solidworks 3D software or similar
The Technical Director role will be based in Alphen aan den Rijn, NL.
Reward package / Compensation package
A comprehensive compensation package, comprising base salary, bonus and benefits, will be made available to attract outstanding candidates and will reflect the importance of this appointment to the future growth of Sofis.
- Pre-selection of potential candidates is performed by the search team of Berwick Partners, including interviews with responsible partner(s)
- Most suitable candidates will be selected for a meeting with Sofis
- Two rounds of interviews with stakeholders of Sofis
- Discuss and conclude on terms of employment and reward package
- Reference check and screening prior to commencement of employment
For further information regarding this role please contact one of our consultants.
For practical questions you can contact our assistant.
Partner – Odgers Berndtson
+ 31 (0)20 7130 681
Consultant – Berwick Partners
+ 31 (0)85 0479 389
+ 31 (0)6 1482 7163
+31 (0)85 0645224
+ 31 (0)6 36360924